The DCB Kessington charitable trust was formed in 2019 under the auspices of the long-established Dunbartonshire Concert Band.

  • SCIO registered name: DCB Kessington SCIO
  • Charity number: SC049506
  • SCIO was registered on: 31 July 2019
  • SCIO ‘known as’ name: DCB Kessington
  • Address: 58 Milngavie Road, Bearsden, Glasgow G61 2DP
Robert Baxter

OSCR Charity Details (click here)

Bank details:

  • Account name: DCB Kessington SCIO
  • Bank of Scotland, sort code: 80-22-60
  • Account number: 19486860

Current trustees:

  • Robert Baxter – Founder & Artistic Director
  • David Broad
  • Alan Cooper

How to get here

  • Location: Google map
  • Buses: 60A/10A/B10/C10 – timetable
  • Train: Hillfoot (Bearsden) Station – 0.4mile/10mins
  • Tram: no longer in service
  • Car: on-street parking

Find us on Facebook

Historical notes

Kessington Burgh Hall was originally an electricity sub-station, built in 1924 to provide power for the Bearsden-Milngavie trams. It became a public hall when the tram service ended in 1956.

Tramway Substation, built 1924. A 1-storey and basement, 3-by-7-bay, red-sandstone rubble building, with turrets on 3 of the 4 corners. Originally housed two 500kw rotary converters to supply the Milngavie tram route, now a public hall.

J R Hume (1976) Industrial Archaeology of Scotland, Vol. 1: The Lowlands and Borders.

Rotary converters were the devices used to convert the high-voltage AC to the 600 volt DC electrical supply that powered the trams via overhead wires.

Further details can be seen at the Historic Environment Scotland/Canmore website.

An earlier image (ca. 1950-ish?, Hidden Glasgow Forum) shows the original building frontage prior to change of use, followed by addition of a front staircase, subsequently modified for ramp access…

In the snow, ca. 1950
May 1971 (Canmore collection)
ca. 1970 (EDC Archives)
July 1983 (EDC Archives)
July 2019


Some views from above


The Kessington Tree

In recent years, prior to refurbishment, a small tree growing on top of the hall had become something of a local landmark – albeit at the expense of the building’s fabric. We had hoped that during re-roofing it might be removed intact for replanting in a more suitable location, but the roots were too entangled with the brickwork.

The tree has been tentatively identified as a Chinese Red Birch (betula albosinensis), a non-native species presumably self-seeded from a local garden. We have taken some cuttings for later propagation.

Tree rings at the base of the trunk suggest that the tree was about 5-6 yrs old.